The impact testing facility composed of:
- A gas cannon that operates with pressurized nitrogen.
- A protective polycarbonate chamber, practically bulletproof.
- High-speed imaging apparatus, up to 500k fps.
The facility is capable of:
- Ultra High Frequency signal generation and acquisition systems (1-10MHz).
- High Frequency (1-1MHz) amplifier for active piezoceramic sensor pairs.
- High-speed 3D digital image correlations (DIC) providing data for full-field deformation and strain distributions
- Laser Doppler Vibrometer (Polytek) non-conduct sensor with high velocity and displacement resolution, and high sampling-frequency (300ksamples/sec).
The Group is experienced in:
- Coupon Fabrication with the Resin Transfer Mold method (RTM)
- Material Characterization considering established standards (ASTM, etc.)
The Shape Memory Alloys & Morphing Structures Lab is employed for:
- Thermomechanical testing and stabilization of SMA actuators
- Active Shape and Vibration Control
- High-speed, high-precision dynamic data acquisition systems
- Acceleration (1D and 3D), force, strain and temperature measurement
- Impact force excitation through a range of impact hammers (miniature to heavy)
- Continuous force excitation (6lb and 50lb electromagnetic shakers)
- 8- and 4-channel high-speed dynamic data acquisition & spectral analyzer systems
- Modal frequency, damping and mode shapes measurement
- Composite Damping Characterization