Who we are...
The Group is involved in the development of mechanics, analytical methods, finite elements and computational tools, enabling formal modeling and engineering of advanced materials and advanced structural concepts. The group is particularly active in the field of smart materials and adaptive structures, as well as, in the broader area of composite materials and composite structures.
What we do...
The Group is currently involved in various research projects. Our activities are focused on, but NOT limited to, Smart Materials & Adaptive Structures; Damped Composites & Structures; Carbon Nanoparticles & Nanocomposites; Shape Memory Alloys; Damage Detection & Structural Health Monitoring etc.
We are always looking for people who are interested in or spacialize to advanced technology applications. If you wish to be actively involved into one of the most innovative and emerging technology areas today, feel free to contact Prof. D. Saravanos or the members of the SAAM Group. Especially for MEAD Students, we provide a series of introductory research projects in the form of Student and Diploma Theses.
- BLADEOUT: CROR Blade-Out Impact Simulations and Sample Manufacturing (2016-2019). CleanSky 2 JTI, 686813.
- TAVAC:Technologies for Active Vibration and Acoustic Comfort (2016-2019), CleanSky 2 JTI.
- InnWind: Innovative wind conversion systems (10-20MW) for offshore applications (2012-2017). FP7-ENERGY, GRA- 308974
- Graphene: Graphene and its Nanocomposites: Production, Properties and Applications (2012-2017). Thalis National Project
- OPENAIR: Optimisation for low Environmental Noise impact Aircraft (2009-2014). FP7-TRANSPORT
- FIMAC: Fast impact cross-analysis methodology for composite leading edge structures (2014-2015). CleanSky JTI, SGO-02-073
- FlexSense: Flexible sensor coopearation for structural health diagnorsis/prognosis (2014-2015). CleanSky-JTI, GRA-01-054.
- MOSKIN: Morphing Skin with a Tailored Non-conventional Laminate (2012-2014). CleanSky-JTI, GRA-298164
- SMyTE: Shape Memory Alloy Trailing Edge (2012-2013).FP7-CleanSky JTI, GRA-02-015
- WISMOS: Wireless Integrated Strain Monitoring and Simulation System (2011-2012). CleanSky JTI, ECO-01-005
- IIMEC: International Institute of Multifunctional Materials for Energy Conversion (2010-2013). NSF, USA
- Preliminary Studies on Damage Tolerant Strategies for Composite Damage Detection and Health Monitoring (2008-2009). EOARD Grant
- Integrated Wind Turbine Design (2005-2009). FP6-Energy
- NOESIS: Aerospace Nanotube Hybrid Composite Structures with Sensing and Actuating Capabilities (2005-2009). FP6-Aerospace
- Pythagoras: Smart Mechanical Structures with Stochastic Damage Self-Detection Capability (2005-2006). Hellenic Ministry of Education
- International Collaboration on Predictive Μethodologies for the Design of Lamb-Wave Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors for Structural Health Monitoring (2004-2007). NSF, USA
- CNT: Modeling of Electromechanical Behavior of Carbon Nanotubes and Nano-Composite Materials (2003-2006). K. Karatheodori Research Program, Univ. of Patras
- Heracleitos: Smart Piezoelectric Composites with Damage Self-Monitoring Capabilities (2002-2006). Hellenic Ministry of Education
- DAMPBLADE: Wind Turbine Rotor Blades For Enhanced Aeroelastic Stability And Fatigue Life Using Passively Damped Composites (2000-2004). FP5-ENERGIE ΕΝΚ6-CT2000-00320
- EPET-II: Design & Development of a Composite Bridge (1999-2001). National Research Program EPET-II; Inst. of Chemical Engineering
The facility if capable of
- Ultra High Frequency signal generation and acquisition systems (1-10MHz).
- High Frequency (1-1MHz) amplifier for active piezoceramic sensor pairs.
- Laser Doppler Vibrometer (Polytek) non-conduct sensor with high velocity and displacement resolution, and high sampling-frequency (300ksamples/sec).